They really did taste as good as they looked! And I found that using Muffin trays instead of the ordinary baking trays, made the cupcakes more shapely and light to eat.
Give it a go, and tell me what you think...
|Vanilla Cupcakes - This recipe makes 12|
5oz (150g) lightly salted butter, softened
5oz (150g) caster sugar
6oz (175g) self raising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of (hot or cold) water
Pre-heat oven 180 degrees (350 F), Gas Mark 4.
- Line the bun tray with paper or cake cases
- Mix the unsalted butter until white and fluffy
- Add the sugar
- And eggs
- Sieve the flour into the cake mix
- With a spoon, mix the flour in with the cake mix so far. If you use an electric mixer, the flour will fly into the air and create a mess..
- Add Vanilla Extract and Water
- Make sure the contents are all mixed together well
- Devide the cake mix between the paper/cases
- Place in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes
|For Lemon Icing|
5oz (150g) unsalted butter, softened
8oz (250g) icing sugar
1 and a half tablespoons of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of grated lemon zest (not compulsory)
- Mix unsalted butter until light and fluffy
- Sieve icing sugar into the bowl
- Mix icing sugar with spoon
- Add lemon juice and zest
- If you find the contents to be too liquidy, add more icing sugar
- If you find contents too solid, add more juice/water
Then decorate to your hearts desire!